Finding Your Truth!
Last week, I started reading Untamed by Glennon Doyle. The first few pages were amazing. I had to stop and share this with you, Sis.
I think of the ways I’ve been tamed. It started with my biological mother’s parenting style. She was a mother of 4 at 21 years old. Owwweeee the challenges! It was my responsibility to care for my siblings and take them everywhere with me.
Early on that taught me to put other people’s needs before mine.
Many of us were conditioned to:
Please other people
Keep it cute and mute
Not discuss politics, money, or religion
Not have sexual desires
Become a lawyer, doctor, and RICH.
The list continues.
My 20s were spent learning how to live for me. At 29, I felt completely comfortable doing what was best for me.
Here are five tips to becoming untamed based on my lived experiences:
1. Date yourself. You need to spend time alone to truly understand what it is you like. This means trying things alone and deciding if they work for you or not.
2. Listen to your inner spirit. Your gut knows. Trust her. Follow her. There’s no need to abandon your spirit.
3. I am a Christian and believe God is always speaking. What is God telling you? What messages are being repeated to you? Are you talking to God? Are you seeking God’s guidance? Spend some quiet time with God. Allow God to speak and use you.
4. Surround yourself with life giving people and experiences. Your circle must speak truth, encourage, and love you unapologetically. Find people you can learn from and teach.
5. Show up authentically and unapologeticallythrive you. Remember you were fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalms 139:14). Live in that!
Are you tamed? If yes, what are you going to do to change that?
Are you untamed? If yes, how did you do it?
Sis, take your power back!